Saturday, September 2, 2017

It's Not The Distance - It's What You Learn On Your Way!!

99 Islands - Sasabo, Japan


     Since I can remember, writing has always been something that I have liked to do.  It was a way to express myself when I couldn't find the right words to verbally communicate.  I never wrote about just one thing.  It was many things, and yet once I was done writing, the pages would end up being put away to gather dust. 

     Reading was one of my favorite things to do (besides writing of course).  One of my favorite was mysteries.  I loved to read Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys.  I thought about how the words always drew me in like I was actually apart of the story itself.  Feeling myself walking down those dark alleys or into an old, abandoned house.  Even finding a hidden door under a staircase or in a closet up in one of the bedrooms. Once I was done with a book I couldn't wait to start another one.

     Another one of my favorite books was "It". Yes, I know it's horror, not mystery, but I absolutely am addicted to scary things.  The question at the beginning of what happened to Georgy, and so many of the other kids in the town that were disappearing. Then how the author went through and introduced each of the kids and their confrontation with the "clown" aka "It".  Finally, years later after each of the kids grew up into very successful adults, and was "called back" to the town they ran away from.
The Road Is Ahead Of You

     Growing up I continued to write whether it was a short story, poetry, or ebooks (once computers came onto the scene). But, as before, I would put all my writings into a folder and there they would stay.  I actually wrote a book as well when I was in my 20's, but when I met my boyfriend (who is now my husband) read it he told my to stop writing it and throw it away.  The topic of it was about the Ouija board and that it is not just a board game.  He was against anything dealing with the occult, demonology, spirits, etc.  So, not wanting to ruin our relationship, I put it away.

     For many years I have been working in either the medical field, call centers, law offices, construction companies, but have never been truly happy with any of them.  But like everyone else I have bills and responsibilities which require me to actually have money coming in to take care of them.

     Up until a month ago I have been working two jobs steadily for the past 2 years.  I got to the point where I was only sleeping 3 hours every night, not being able to focus on my jobs, and in a nut shell - Stressed Out!!

     So, I have been off for the past month and have been able  to sit down and review my life and where I want to go from here.  I know that I don't want to work 2 jobs, or do the crummy 9-5 Mon-Fri thing anymore.  I realized I wanted more for my life.  I want to travel, and see the world.  Be able to stay at nice hotels and eat and awesome out-of-the-way restaurants.

     One day actually a few months ago I was going thru my emails and saw an email about travel writing.  I've never heard of travel writing before, but it sounded just up my alley.  So I began to read everything I could find to see how it worked, what all was involved, and what I needed to do to get started.  

     This is the epiphany that I was searching for.  I could finally start writing again and get published.  If I could get good enough, and start writing articles steadily then I could quit my job and finally be able to do what I love - travel and write.  Then I could have the best of both worlds.


Me and Erika
     Of course miracles don't happen overnight, and I would have to start at the bottom and work up.  Meaning, I would have to start writing about what and where I knew the best.  My hometown.

     As of now I have 3 published articles.  One, of which, I have on my blog already, and will be adding my second one soon.  I also have a Special Interest story that I am going to be starting on.  

My daughter, actually, found the idea for it.  It is about a real "hippy" shop here in my hometown which I didn't even know existed until my daughter wanted to go and see what it was about.  

     Anyway, that is pretty much the reason I got involved in travel writing.  Of course, I still have a long way to go, but to me it's not about the distance - it's about what you learn on your way!

Peace, Love, and Light to everyone,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment