Saturday, June 24, 2017

Read, Write, Send, Repeat . . . . .






     So, this week I spent a good portion of my time looking for unique and interesting places to visit in Ohio and Pa. I had submitted a query letter to the editor of the local newspaper for a travel article. I didn't expect to receive a response for a few days, but in a matter of 2 hours received a response from the editor saying that he liked my idea but had to run it past his editor first. 

     After a few days I received an email from the editor saying that unfortunately his editor did not have a need for the particular topic I had sent the query on.  He; however, told me to try and find a few other ideas and send them to him and he will again run them past his editor. The soon as I responded to his email I immediately jumped into searching for new and fresh ideas that I could submit to him for approval.  The next day I sent him an email with 5 new article ideas, and he liked them all.  He told me to give him a few days and he would send me the ones that he chose for me to start on.  

Read, Write, Send, Repeat . . . . . 
    
      So, the first thing you want to do is your research (read).  Once you have an idea for your article then you begin to (write) your query letter.  When you are sure that you have everything in your letter, and have spell checked everything, you then (send) your query to the editor. Then you (repeat) the process.  Don't stop at just 1 or 2 publications.  Send out at least 5 query letters
so that you have 5 difference chances to get an approval from one of them. 

Read, Write, Send, Repeat . . . . . 

     As long as you truly believe in something, and never give up even after receiving a negative response, another opportunity will open up for you with something even better. As long as you persevere and keep sending those query letters to the specific publications for your articles, you will have started on the road to living the life that you were meant to live.

Till next time
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment